Proper Brake Setup

General Savage Discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

mehunglow
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Proper Brake Setup

Post by mehunglow » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:17 pm

:x I need some help.  I have a Savage SSX and every time I drive the thing the brakes are really strong in the begining!  Like almost make the truck indo strong.  After a while I have seriouse brake fade and the brakes are like gone....  I take the truck apart and retighten the 2 phillips screws that hold the hole brakeing shoe system thing together.  I do not tighten them all the way as my hobby store said not to.  What am I missing?  I had a really difficult time raceing because of this problem.  I have about $1,100 into the truck alone not counting the radio gear.  I really want to do well this year raceing.  Please help????????  Thanks..........

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

-SavageSam-
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by -SavageSam- » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:14 am

my ss brakes fade also during racing conditions so i took the metal disks out a put the double red fibre ones in and had a great last race meet, i needed to adjust a little as the day went on but stopping power a plenty also the metal ones fade fast when wet, it only costs about $25 to down grade to some thing that works.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

miagi
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by miagi » Mon May 17, 2010 12:12 pm

The screws may be your problem...several reasons for it as Iv read a lot about it recently...i have same issue.  Best fix for it i have read is to completely drill out gear box and insert a long flathead screw aand locknut the other end...this way, they cannot back out because theyre locked in place.  Some use CA glue to keep the screws in, but if your housing thread is stripped your likely to have the problem come back....I just bought a new housing and will install my new dual red fiber disc setup with the machined screws and hopefull the problem will go away......may mod the old housing with screws and nuts to use as a backup.

Good luck...or as I did, put on some street tires and lowered the shocks so I dont need brakes....just a good spin out stops me where i wanna stop :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Mon May 17, 2010 10:16 pm

Not trying to bust any ones chops here, but look at the dates of the posts.  People do use the search....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

xtremesavage
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by xtremesavage » Tue May 18, 2010 12:11 am

:rofl:
[img]http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n403/xtremesavage/newsig.png[/img]
Share knowlegde,,,Dont brag!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dodgedude
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by dodgedude » Tue May 18, 2010 1:08 am

LOL :rofl:
[img]http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/Dodgedude780/avatar-1.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.savage-central.com/Evo-Forums_-_file_-_viewtopic_-_t_-_93901_-_start_-_0.html]Big Blue[/url]......Soon.....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

miagi
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by miagi » Tue May 18, 2010 7:35 am

doh!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

M3AL
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by M3AL » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:54 am

I replaced my brake spring for a piece of fuel tube and now my savage flips over when braking with the ss brake setup. Dnt know about racing but but bashing works too well and cheapest mod ever

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links