Cutting a stripe out of tape......

Tips or questions about painting should be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

chrisexv6
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Cutting a stripe out of tape......

Post by chrisexv6 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:32 am

This actually isnt for RC use, but I figured it might be something the pro painters know about :)

Im looking for something that is basically a rolling cutter.  Imagine a pizza slicer, but with two rollers parallel to each other, with a gap in between them (3/4" to 1" wide).

My wife has me painting the nursery and it calls for a "torn apart" look, with two colors and a "tear" in between them.  I planned on using tape between the colors then some sort of cutter to cut the 3/4" to 1" gap between the two colors.  I suppose I can free hand it with an Xacto knife, but was wondering if there was a roller setup for this specific application.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Salvaged
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Salvaged » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:18 am

I'm not sure a tape cutter will give you the randomness needed for simulating a "tear", and free handing the exacto knife would probably be more work than just free handing the paint brush (capillary action of the paint behind the tape leaves a mess).

In the case that you only have two colors (as opposed to a third color for a shadow); I would paint the lighter of the two colors on the entire wall, then come back after it is dry and start painting the tear with a cut in brush (width doesnt matter). When that is dry, and you like the edge between the paints, I'd backfill beyond the edge with the second color, and then use a roller for the rest of the area for the second color.

If your first color is not real light, I'd do a test piece to see how the second color will dry (and adjust properly). The key with painting the whole wall with the first color a uniform undercoat for the second color (similar to why primer is used).

Although it is even more work, a thrid (even darker color) that is about 3/4 to 1" wide as a divider between the edge of the first two colors would give a better effect of a "tear", by providing depth via a shadow.

If you don'd want the added work, don't mention I said the third color to your wife... :wink:
[align=right] insert cool pic here[/align]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Salvaged
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Salvaged » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:21 am

Another choice would be to just by 2" masking tape, and tear it in half. You still don't get away from the capillary action of this method though, and may end up with some ugly spots of pooled up paint.

Good luck........

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisexv6
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by chrisexv6 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:28 am

Funny you mention, it is actually 3 colors :)  She saw it in a B Moore brochure, and the rest is horrible history.  I really should define "tear"....in the brochure pic, its not so much a tear as it is a uniform line thats kinda wavy, between the other two colors.  The width remains uniform, the line itself just kinda gets "squiggly" going up and down the walls.

How I was planning on attacking it:

Going to get her approval for where she wants the stripe (vertical, horizontal, somewhere in between, etc), then using one of those trim-size rollers, I was going to roll out the "in between tear" color.  The in between color is lighter than the other two, BTW.

After it dries, I was going to use tape to go thru the painted area, then I was going to cut a "tear" into the tape, peel off the extra tape and then paint the other two colors, making sure I dont breach the taped over area.

I can try to free hand the paint, but Im not good at stuff like that, so it would probably come out...not so good.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Salvaged
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Salvaged » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:55 am

Oh have you got yourself in a pickle or what....darn magazines/brochures - they get us so many more "to dos" huh? What you described sounds more like a random cardiogram (heartbeat).

Before you break your back, try your method on a semi large (2ftx2ft) piece of drywall, so you are sure the process will hold true (and not make a mess).

Personally, I've never had a whole lot of success with the tape method on drywall, since it is not very flat and almost always results in some crappy spots.

I'm still thinking the free hand method may be the best, you just need a little practice - but be sure to use a really good 1/2" artist's brush for the edges of the two main colors (since the inbetween color is the lightest). Although it seems like a waste, you really should paint the whole wall with the inbetween color, so you have consistent underoat for subsequnt layers (colors).

Good luck

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links